Seal Cove Auto Museum, Antique Autos and Motorcycles from the Brass Era, Mount Desert Island, Maine
1913 Peugeot
  • Manufacturer: SA des Automobiles Et Cycles Peugeot, Lille, France, 1889-Present
  • Model: Type 150
  • Engine: Four-cylinder, 7,478 cc with a single camshaft
  • Horsepower: 40
  • Transmission: Four-speed gearbox
  • Coachwork: "Skiff" body designed by Carosserie Henri

Peugeot’s first car appeared in 1889, making Peugeot the oldest continuous car brand on the market, and the second oldest car manufacturer.

In 1912, an important step is made in the history of French coach-building when Jean-Henry Labourdette creates the famous “skiff”, for Rene de Knyff, on a Panhard 20 HP frame. Shaped as a boat, without doors, the structure follows traditional naval carpentry methods. The mahogany body is fixed to the frame with visible nails. This first model delivered by the Depujols shipyard weighed only 180 kilograms, including windscreen, mudgaurds and four seats. Labourdette’s Skiff bodies were applied to many different cars including Rolls-Royce, Hispano Suiza, Reault, Peugeot and more.

Richard C. Paine Jr., the Seal Cove Auto Museum’s founder, acquired the 1913 Peugeot “skiff” in 1964 when he purchased the fabled Dr. Samuel L. Scher collection. Dr. Scher had, in turn, acquired the car from his close friend James Melton after the closing of Melton’s Autorama Museum in Hypoluxo, Florida. Melton described the Peugeot as “one of the finest cars in our collection” in his book, “Bright Wheels Rolling.”